Glories of Greece – A showcase of ancient ruins that pierce blue skies
Athens to Athens
7 days from €1,850pp
This popular journey covers a multitude of noteworthy ancient sites, majestic monuments and mystical monasteries. See the Leonidas Monument dedicated to the brave warrior and his 300 Spartans. Ascend the Acropolis with a Local Expert to admire the Parthenon, built in 5th century BC, as well as the smaller Temple of Athena Nike and the ‘Porch of the Maidens.’ Take a look at your day-by-day itinerary to find out more.
- Meals as specified (6 breakfasts and 5 dinners).
- The expertise of a knowledgeable Travel Director.
- 6-nights accommodation in centrally located hotels.
Day 1: Welcome to Athens
An Insight host will meet you at the airport and take you to the hotel, where there is time to settle in and relax. At 19:00, join your Travel Director for a Welcome Reception, get to know your fellow travellers over a delightful evening of dinner and wine.
Day 2: Athens, City of Gods
Your exploration reveals the Temple of Zeus, the Temple of Wingless Victory and Hadrian’s Arch. Next, your Local Expert takes you to the Parthenon, built atop the Acropolis. Continue to Thermopylae, famous as the mountain pass where King Leonidas led his Spartan army, along with fellow Greek soldiers, into battle against the Persians in 480 B.C. See the memorial dedicated to Leonidas and his courageous Spartans, then on to your hotel in Kalambaka for dinner.
Day 3: The pinnacles of Meteora
With your Local Expert, visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Meteora, meaning ‘in the air.’ The massive pinnacles of smooth rock are ancient, yet could also be the setting for a futuristic science-fiction tale. Visit one of the monasteries, that adds to the strange and beautiful landscape and enjoy stunning views over the Peneios Valley. The rest of the day is at your leisure. Why not explore with a leisurely walk on the nature trails? Alternatively, you may wish to visit the Natural History Museum.
Day 4: The Sacred Way and onto Olympia
Travel south, stopping at the foothills of Mount Parnassus. Ascend the Sacred Way of Delphi with your Local Expert, passing the Parian marble Treasury of the Athenians and Polygonal Wall. You’ll approach the Temple of Apollo, where for 14 centuries the mysterious Oracle of Delphi breathed her enigmatic ‘words’. Continue to Olympia where dinner is served in your hotel.
Day 5: Ancient Olympia
It’s all in the name. Ancient Olympia is the site where the Ancient Olympic Games began in 776 B.C. in dedication to the god Zeus. See the Temple of Zeus, the athletes gymnasium and the stadium of Olympia. The starting and finishing markers for the sprint track are still marked by stones and there is time to capture your own memory with a photo at the starting line. In the evening, join a local chef for an entertaining cooking demonstration, followed by a dinner of authentic Greek flavours.
Day 6: Mycenae and Nafplio
Visit the ruined city of Mycenae with a Local Expert. Walk through the Lion Gate, visit the royal beehive-tombs and see the giant Cyclopean stones used to build the city walls. Later, meet the artisans and view beautiful works of art at a family-run pottery studio. Travel to the elegant town of Nafplio, known for its beautiful architecture, colour shops and cafes. Your journey continues following the shores of the Saronic Gulf to pass the Corinth Canal dividing the Peloponnesse and mainland Greece, and arriving in Athens. In the evening, enjoy a hearty Celebration Dinner in true Greek style, complete with wine and good cheer.
Day 7: Depart Athens
Your Grecian odyssey comes to an end with a transfer to Athens Airport.
Top rated highlights
- Thermopylae: See the Leonidas Monument dedicated to the brave warrior and his 300 Spartans.
- Olympia: The stadium of Olympia hosted the ancient Olympic Games and the Heraia, the women’s games in honour of Hera. See the Temple of Zeus, athlete’s gymnasium and the stone marker where the sprint began.
- Athens: Ascend the Acropolis with a Local Expert to admire the Parthenon, built in 5th century BC, as well as the smaller Temple of Athena Nike and the ‘Porch of the Maidens.’
- Meteora: With a Local Expert, visit one of the remarkable centuries-old monasteries of Meteora, teetering on towers of rock and arguably the most spectacular place to visit in Greece.
- Delphi: With your Local Expert, walk to The Sacred Way once lined with offertory temples. See the reconstructed Athenian Treasury and pass the superb Polygonal Wall to reach the Temple of Apollo, where the people would seek divine wisdom from the mysterious Oracle.
- Mycenae: Walk through the Lion Gate past the royal beehive-tombs where Schliemann uncovered golden treasure, while hearing tales of Agamemnon from your Local Expert.
- Mycenae: Meet the artisans of a family-run pottery studio and learn about their unique traditional methods.
Call us, or send us an sms text message
and we’ll immediately connect you to one of our travel professionals.
Email Us or Request Callback
Alternatively you can email us, or you can request that we call you back