Finnish Lapland in Winter
Helsinki, Finland to Rovaniemi, Finland
8 days from €1,888 per person
Explore Finland like never before on this journey through snow-covered Lapland.
Lapland, home of the indigenous Sami people, is a magical place of pristine peaks and snow-dusted woodlands. In this Arctic wonderland, the cold air is cut only by the sound of rushing rivers and panting huskies as they prepare to rush across this impossibly vast, white wilderness. Strap on your hiking boots and crunch a path through Finland’s spectacular taigas, get cosy with the locals over a glass of salmari and experience the rush of a real dog-sled. From the docks of Helsinki to mountainous Yllastunturi and Santa’s workshop in Rovaniemi – witness a beautiful part of the world where Christmas feels always close.
8 days Helsinki, Finland to Rovaniemi, Finland
From €1,888 per person
Is this trip right for you?
- Lapland can be extremely cold at this time of year. Please bring appropriate clothing for adverse weather conditions. There may be the rare occasion where your leader has to alter the itinerary and activities due to the weather. In this case an alternative will be offered.
- Due to the remote locations we visit, there are a few long drives on this trip. This is a great opportunity to enjoy the scenery and spend some time getting to know the other members of your group.
- The Northern Lights (also known as the Aurora Borealis) are a natural display of coloured lights in the night sky of the northern hemisphere. While Northern Light displays can never be guaranteed, as they are a natural phenomenon, you have a higher chance of seeing them in locations at high latitudes, such as Northern Finland. Keep your fingers crossed for clear skies during your visit.
- As accommodation on this trip is twin-share, single travellers will share a room with another traveller of the same sex. A single supplement is not available on this trip due to the small size of the accommodation we use in Yllastunturi. Also, hotels in Europe often don’t have double beds, but rather two single beds that can be pushed together/apart. Please also be aware that many guesthouses offer shared bathrooms rather than en-suite facilities. Rooms in Finland can be small, and at times you may be accommodated a short walk away from the main building.
- Finland can be an expensive destination in terms of eating out. Your leader will be able to advise on how to save money. In remote areas the only option for dinner will be at the guesthouse we are staying at. Please stock up on food at a supermarket prior to arrival if you would like to opt out eating at the guesthouse’s restaurant.
Day 1: Helsinki
- Hotel (1 night)
There are no meals included on this day.
Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm. Please look for a note in the hotel lobby or ask the hotel reception where it will take place. If you can’t arrange a flight that will arrive in time, you may wish to arrive a day early so you’re able to attend the welcome meeting. We’ll be happy to book additional accommodation for you (subject to availability). If you’re going to be late, please inform the hotel reception. Your leader will be collecting your insurance details and next of kin information at this meeting, so please ensure you have these ready.
Day 2: Helsinki/ Overnight Train
- Overnight Train (1 night)
- National Museum of Finland – EUR10
- Museum of Cultures – EUR9
- Kiasma Contemporary Art Museum – EUR12
- Design Museum – EUR10
- Suomenlinna Sea Fortress – EUR6
- Mannerheim Museum – EUR12
- City Museum – Free
- Ateneum Art Museum – EUR15
- Cathedral – Free
- Rock Church – Free
Day 3: Kemi/ Yllästunturi
- Sauna Visit – EUR170
There are no meals included on this day.
Day 4: Yllästunturi
- Dog Sledding
Day 5: Yllästunturi
- Saami Reindeer Farm
- Northern Light Viewing Opportunity – Free
Yllästunturi turns off their street lighting at 10pm from November to mid-February, so the Northern Lights can be seen better. Please note that while there is a good chance of seeing the lights of the aurora this far north, there is no guarantee, as they are a natural phenomenon.
Day 6: Yllästunturi
Day 7: Rovaniemi
- Santa Claus Workshop – Free
Day 8: Rovaniemi
1st Floor, 46 South Mall, Cork. call us, or send us an sms text message
and we’ll immediately connect you to one of our travel professionals. Alternatively you can email us, or request a callback